Year 5 2019-2020
Welcome to the Year 5 Class Page
5P do PE on: Monday 5BL do PE on: Tuesday
We test spellings on: Friday
We test times tables throughout the week.
Our daily homework is to read to an adult at home and practise our times tables and spellings in order to ensure we make the best possible progress during our time in Year 5.
Children have internet safety lessons using Gooseberry Planet once a fortnight. The children can play and access the games at home and parents can log in and check their child's progress on the website:
Spring Topic - The Victorians
We will be exploring:
· Who Queen Victoria was, her immediate family and their role in Britain.
· The Industrial Revolution was a period of great change in British history—affecting living conditions, jobs, health, the environment and global trade.
· What revolution means and the legacy this left for modern Britain, including the impact this had on people’s quality of life, people’s income, people’s health, hygiene and sanitation and pollution and the environment.
· There were six main causes for the revolution: 1. Population increase, 2. Factories, 3. Steam Power, 4. Mechanised Agriculture, 5. Transport, 6. The Expansion of the British Empire.
· How and why workhouses were used in the UK, with reference to how legislation and law changed people’s lives including the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 and health and safety regulations in response to how many factory owners put profit above the health and safety of their workers.
· What an empire is and how Britain built up a large empire, including reference to famous conflicts.
Our topic launch was a fantastic trip to Wilderspin School and Museum in Barton-upon-Humber, North Lincolnshire. It was a brilliantly educational and rewarding day - we had a great time learning about Samuel Wilderspin and what life was like for school children in the Victorian era and many of the technological innovations they could use at that time. We got to dress up in Victorian attire and fully immerse ourselves in the experience.
Autumn Topic - The Terrible Tudors
We will be exploring:
- The Tudor reign and royal family
- Significant people from the era including: Leonardo Da Vinci; Sir Francis Drake; Sir Walter Raleigh and more.
- Sir Francis Drake's circumnavigation of the globe
- The plague of 1665
- The Great Fire of London in 1666
- The baroque and renaissance eras, with respect to their art movements, including music
Our terrific Tudor topic launch involved: looking at a range of weaponry and discussing the forces behind the efficacy of different weapons in battle; how solutions can be changed from acid to alkali; safe laboratory practises; making ink and writing using quills and reeds; transmuting metals into gold; designing Tudor marchpane (marzipan) and making our own butter.
Check out the fantastic home learning activities which 5P have been getting up to!
Year 5: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display